A few facts
-Population: 415 215 (in 2018)
-The largest city in Switzerland and also its financial capital
-Official language: German ( Alemannic Swiss German)
Getting There and Where to Stay
- Zurich is 275 km away from Geneva
- By train : the average, one-way train ticket is around 74 CHF on SBB (3h of journey), but if you buy your ticket early the price will be lower. Check out https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
- Accommodation: you could try Zurich’s Youth Hostel - it is very affordable, accessible and located near the center
What to Do and See
- Have a stroll around the old town
- Visit the Swiss national museum or the museum of Fine Arts
- Check out the beautiful Fraumünster church
- Do some shopping at the Bahnhofstrasse
- Take the “polybahn” and enjoy the view from the “polyterrasse” by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Go ice-skating at the Dolder Hotel
- Visit Zurich’s second hand shops - different items ranging from clothing to furniture
- If it is sunny, there is a little walk (short if you take the train before) that brings you to the top of mount Uetliberg and from there, you can see the town and the lake of Zurich
- Christmas market : normally at this time of the year, there is a nice little Christmas market next to the lake (maybe check this year because of the COVID). The atmosphere is very nice!
- Rhine Falls : if you go by car the falls are not far from Zürich and are worth the trip.
- Zurich culinary specialities you must try: Zürcher Geschnetzeltes (literally “ meat cut Zurich Style”) : sliced veal, cooked with mushrooms, cream, onions and wine, served with potato “rösti”.
- Birchermuesli: Zurich is the birthplace of Muesli; you will be able to try it in many cafes.
- Zopf: this bread is traditionally eaten on Sunday mornings : it is easily recognisable: “zopf” means braid, and that is exactly what it looks like. You can buy it in bakeries.
Other restaurants you mustn't miss :
Restaurant Ach’i : it is an asian restaurant that is very affordable and really delicious!
Hiltl : the oldest vegetarian restaurant in the world, delicious and quite healthy after all the Schnitzel!
Yuma: enjoy dishes from all around the world - authentic cuisine you cannot miss!
No fixed hours for now. Each session is announced on our Facebook page
c/o CUAE, Uni Mail
Bd du Pont-d'Arve 40
1211 Genève, Suisse